Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Surgery + 8 Weeks: Good Cop - Bad Cop

I refer to my two primary physical therapists as "Good Cop" and "Bad Cop". This has nothing to do with their abilities (both outstanding) or personalities (both cool), but there is a distinct difference between their methods. You know with BC that you're going to be pushed to the brink on most days and with GC the process is more conservative. I think they both do a great job and it's a good combination to have the two working together.

Yesterday was a prime Good Cop vs. Bad Cop encounter. GC walked me in and got me going with the usual Exercise Bike for 10 minutes and I followed with the normal stretches. Then, I asked him what was next. I was scheduled with BC and he checked with him. No surprise that I then was given the sentence of 10 minutes with the leg hang. I laid on my belly on the table with a (heavy) heating pad on the leg and a weight on the ankle. Everything from just above the knee down was hanging off the table. GC told me there would be no Quad Stim to accompany this therapy. I was so thanking the heavens that it was a GC day!

Two minutes later, BC came by to let me know that I was not getting off that easy. He attached the Quad Stim, and proceeded to ramp up the voltage to the usual excruciating muscle cramp. 10 seconds on - 30 seconds off. Not only did I get added discomfort, I got to start my time over!

When the buzzer went off "Time's Up!", GC started to walk over to release me from the weights and wires and all that good stuff. I'm usually unable to do much more than a very feeble army crawl at this point anyway. Unfortunately, though, BC spoke from across the room, "Hold up!" I got to wait an extra minute till he finished with the other patient and slowly came over. My 10-minute easy leg hang had turned into another torturous session with extra minutes added on!

I will thank them both when this is all over because they've been great in helping me, but I won't soon forget who's good cop and who's bad cop.

2 comments:

Nonblond said...

It's funny how every therapist has their own way of doing things. I'm thankful for mine as well, but I sure will be glad when I don't have to go back anymore!

Davidx said...

I am barely a week post ACL repair and only three therapy sessions into rehab. It sounds like therapy is going to be a festival of pain.