Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Surgery + 7 Weeks and a Day: Peaks and Valleys

Things have been good for the most part this week.

Somehow my PT seems to last more than 2.5 hours but not be nearly as painful and actually almost feels like a workout. Things I'm doing...bike, walking backwards on treadmill, some stair-like motions, balancing on one leg with actions, weights (3 or 4 machines per session - I'm @ 145 lbs for leg press w/ both and 70 with one and given my history of wimpiness this feels like a lot), the normal stretches, calf raises including on one leg, and practicing walking. I haven't returned to the "torture chair" in a week but do have two things I really dislike...therapist pulling and pushing the leg straight (kind of massage with a medieval torture theme) and prone hang off a table with the added benefit of quad stimulator at the same time. Today the full 10 minutes was unbearable and I give myself kudos for not screaming.

Through all this though, I realize that the PT and value of the trainers is worth every blessed insurance penny they get paid. They do great work and push me much harder than I would be able to push myself. This brings me to a big concern. I haven't gotten an answer back yet as to whether my insurance benefits have been extended for physical therapy. Given the fact that I'm not jogging yet, I'm really concerned with my progress if I'm left to my own devices.

The other bummer is that outdoor soccer season is starting. Well, I should probably revise the term "bummer". I'm really happy my friends that do get to play, but I am going to be a green-eyed monster. I've spent countless hours this winter working on the board of directors of my local adult soccer association to get our organization ready to have spring, summer, and fall leagues. It's ironic that during my first term on the board I'm not likely to play in a single game. I plan to practice some sports photography as my back-up hobby while I'm out, but will miss the exhileration of kicking the ball just right where it feels perfect coming off my foot and the general camaraderie of playing with different people which always keeps it interesting.

Alas, I guess it could be worse. Spring seems to have arrived (finally) and after a long Michigan winter this is a time where it's very hard not to feel a sense of wonder and happiness.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Being involved in an organization is a great way to stay connected to your sport/activity. In the karate organization which I am affiliated, I am part of a black belt testing review board. Less that three months post surgery, I attended our training camp to assist with testing. Even though I could not fully participate, it was good to be around my karate friends.

It sounds like you had a good PT week. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Whether the players you are serving realize it or not, the league is going to be in much better shape because of your efforts, and it will be awaiting your return! Thanks for all of your hard work, I know how frustrating it can be to spend so much time and effort organizing the sport you love knowing you won't be partaking for a while. But you will be back!

Nonblond said...

It has to be frustrating to be missing out on the sport that you love. I am convinced that this experience is just going to make us all better at what we do and appreciate it more. Hang in there--I look to you for inspiration as you are about 2 weeks ahead of me!