Friday, April 11, 2008

Surgery + 6 Weeks & 3 Days: Much Better Than Yesterday!

Sometimes it's good to feel really low because just about anything is sunshine from a relative perspective. Today felt good in spite of the fact that between PT and doctor's visit I was there over three hours!
  • At PT, they ran out of time to perform the "torture chair". I know I will have to tangle with it again soon but a one-day reprieve is very welcome!
  • 116 degrees Range of Motion (an improvement)
  • I was able to make it through 45 reps of one-leg super press at 60 pounds with the bad leg - progress!
  • I saw the Doctor and his PA and they both said I'm on track for 6-weeks out. X-rays look good, I still have difficulty with strength in my quad and there's some swelling but overall better progress report than I'd expected.
  • I'm free to ditch the brace - a fashion coup! The only thing I'm concerned about is when I had the brace people knew I had an injury or something. Now people are just going to think I've a serious ambulation problem. It's funny how going through the awkwardness and ugliness of this injury makes me care very little about this. I just give people a knowing smile when they stare like "I know...it's not pretty...I'm aware I look funny and it's okay."

Today there was a girl in therapy who was 2 months post-surgery and still on crutches. Her leg is perfectly straight. It reminded me that every person's experiences are different and we each have our crosses to bear as we try to get back to normal.

3 comments:

Nonblond said...

Hi Melissa! I just found your blog. I also tore my acl and mcl while skiing. My injury happened Feb 10th. I had surgery on March 18th, so I am not quite a month out yet. I'm glad to have found your blog. Best of luck to you--I'll keep checking your progress!

Michele said...

It sounds like you are doing great! I was impressed with your leg press numbers at six weeks. I am still working on quad strength.

Good luck with your recovery!

Jed said...

Wow, they just keep coming out of the wood work.

I just saw your first post "However, I want to aggressively treat my injuries so I can get back to the sport that I love - soccer".

I just thought you might be interested in checking out my blog. I also am returning to a European running sport unlike the dozens (it seems) of martial artists.

"Aggressive" is a bit of an understatement. PTist and doctor both told me they've had anyone do as well (But this was a general place and didn't specialize in athletes like my #2). I also didn't tear my MCL (where'd they graft that from?).

Something I didn't realize until my first practice is that quad strength has absolutely no correlation to sprinting speed :)

http://acl.exstatic.org/