Thursday, April 17, 2008

Surgery + 7 Weeks & 2 Days: Are you sure it was your hamstring?

When Jeff and I visited his parents this weekend, I got a question that has been in the back of my mind, too. Jeff's dad, a physician himself, wondered why my major incision was below my leg if the graft was from my hamstring. I really didn't do a lot of reading about what goes on during the surgery because I'm squeamish. But, my curiousity is now peaked and since I'm post-surgery I'm more comfortable figuring out what's happened.

Anyway, the hamstring connects to the tibia and that is the portion that gets removed. I found a website that is great about explaining the surgery and the picture below helps to explain the positioning of the scar.


1 comment:

Nonblond said...

I asked my surgeon about the future scars on my last pre-surgery appointment. When he showed me where the biggest scar would be, that was my first question too. I get squeamish thinking about this stuff as well. I hope one day I can actually do a little more research on it, but right now, it still hits a little too close to home...