Thursday, May 8, 2008

Must Read for Soccer Girls


I just read this very interesting NYTimes article about ACL and injuries in general and female athletes. I was so fortunate during my competitive playing years that I never suffered a major injury and missed very few games in spite of averaging probably 40-70 games a year for my competitive years from about age 12 to 18.

Today, I'm recovering from the major surgery as a woman over 30. I've played well over 1,000 soccer games in my life I'm sure. And how did I tear my knee to shreds? Skiing. Harrumph! It would have been more worth it in a soccer game!!! I will be so mad if that day skiing takes me from the sport I love!

The article is right...there are tradeoffs if you decide to return to something like soccer. You could face surgery again, further damage, or just not be the same. Do I want to just return to being active while leaving soccer out of the equation? No way! I can't imagine losing the ability to compete or the social outlet with other people who love to play and try to win. I love the feeling of a perfectly kicked ball coming off your foot. If I get that feeling once a year that's worth a hundred hours of play. But, then again, what if I can't be a shadow of who I was before my injury years before I expected to ratchet things back in my 40s or 50s or after kids? Will that be okay? Will it be the same?

So many questions that only time will bring answers for...

There's another dynamic in the article. The "is it worth it for girls to compete and make these sacrifices of health and wellness" tone. To me and to many women I have played with (my indoor team this winter had five of twelve women who had gone through ACL surgeries as adults) it is worth it. But for someone on the outside looking in, I could see how it seems crazy as youth or adults.

No comments: