Monday, March 3, 2008

Surgery + 5 & 6 Days

I've finally got cabin fever which means it must be time to take the next step and start getting out of the house! Sunday was a long day. I've still been staying on the couch as much as possible trying to focus on staying elevated. I did PT exercises twice on Sunday (I had done them three times on Saturday). I think I'm at about 45 degrees on ROM although when I sit up and let gravity do the trick, I can go much closer to 90 degrees.

Today (Monday morning) was welcomed with a 90 minute PT session. They say I need to focus on straightening the leg as much as possible "so they don't have to torture me in a month or so". Amen to no torture! Jeff thought I had somehow deserted him in the waiting room. There was 20 minutes of electrodes stimulating my quad muscle, calf stretch, two range of motion exercises, 8 minutes on a sitting stairmaster, leg lifts, modified squat, and 20 minutes of ice with electrodes to reduce knee swelling.

The one thing still holding me back is pain management. I've pretty much given up the prescription painkiller except at night where it's not strong enough to keep from waking me up in pain. This is complicated from muscle cramps I'm getting during the night - probably from the PT. I'm going to keep struggling with that.


The one thing I've missed today - first day home alone is company. This was especially apparent as I knocked over a full glass of water about 5 minutes after Jeff left for work for the day. It was so nice of Mom to come and visit for five days and do way more helping out than she should have - I owe you big time, Mom! Other friends, Sue, Joanne, Skeeter, Jason, Connor, all have helped to brighten my days with visits. I also had two bundles of energy visit last night - Jen's twins Jadyn and Jordan - they were fun and brought yummy chocolate chip cookies. The two giant care packages from my work and our soccer team/Jeff's work have been so amazing and all the warm thoughts, cards, e-mails, etc have been so great. And, of course, the biggest helpers have been the residents of the house - Jeff who has been chauffeur, nurse, and jack of all trades and Bethany who took off work Wednesday to help me out and is always so handy. THANKS SO MUCH!

No comments: