Thursday, May 22, 2008

2 Steps Back

It's been a little while since I've written. I have been so busy trying to get back to normal but my knee does not want to come along for the ride!

Since I wrote, I've unpacked from the Bahamas and been on a business trip to Boston. I had such a good time seeing the city! I even walked for about 2 and a half hours after the sessions were over which made me feel like a real able-bodied person. Beacon Hill was rough - I was at a snails pace, but I did it!

Unfortunately, though, I had a big fall in a restaurant on my last night. We were walking back to our table. The floor was slippery and my shoes didn't hold me. As I skidded on my bad leg, my knee gave out and I landed in a heap with my legs under my butt.

This could have been the most embarrassing moment of my year, but I was in too much pain to care what the table of 12 on one side of me or the full bar on the other side thought. It took me two or three minutes to compose myself on the floor and make sure that my leg was willing to let me stand up. My knee swoll up and it took me about 25 minutes to calm myself down from the pain and fear that I'd hurt something that couldn't easily be fixed. I did finish dinner and returned to the hotel room for a giant pack of ice. Thanks so much to my friends who consoled me and ran down the street in heels to a pharmacy to get some ibuprofen!

My physical therapist says that he doesn't think that I permanently hurt anything and I feel the same way. I have a doctor's appointment in a week to verify this. I'm still in more pain than last week - it still feels swollen and angry. I might say the same for myself. I need to get back to my physical lifestyle or check out weight watchers, but perhaps this can be discussed at another time!

No comments: