Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Question of Perspective?



I wanted to focus on the positive this weekend. It became easier for a variety of reasons...

1) Jeff's house sale became final on Friday which means we only own one house and not two. It had been on the market for over a year since six months before our wedding.
2) We saw friends we hadn't seen since before the surgery. Since they haven't seen the day-to-day recovery process, my knee wasn't on their mind. It was great to have conversations that rarely strayed into that territory. Making the weekend a real break from the weekdays and the focus that PT seems to create.
3) The weather was beautiful and we got to attend a lake party - how can you beat that?

I had a conversation over the weekend that really made me think. One of our friends was discussing his ACL surgery which happened eight years ago. I haven't seen him since I was hurt since they live out of town. But his conversation was similar to many of the soccer girls I know.

They talked about their knee in generalities and even when you asked for specifics, there weren't many. I guess I think that maybe once you get farther out, like many things, you block it out! I think that's a good thing. I'll still have this as a record of my feelings, but if I had to think about this year as negatively as I've felt from time to time, it would be rough!

This is one of the things that drove me nuts when I was preparing for surgery. I knew all these people who had surgery, but couldn't get a lot of specifics about anything. It's part of what prompted me to start this journal. But, I think (given that all of my friends returned to competitive sports) that perhaps it's part of the coping mechanism. I can't wait to join their club with vague memories of a crummy year but a new perspective of normal along with it.

3 comments:

Blackbeltmama said...

I'm looking forward to getting to that point too.

Anonymous said...

Melissa: Thought you'd be interested in this recent article from the Washington Post. For Girls, Learning the Right Moves May Prevent A Common Athletic Injury.

Melissa said...

BBM: Congrats on your big step toward a return to karate!

BBB: Thanks so much for the article. I hope you don't mind that I'm going to put it on my site.