Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Elliptical Bliss

I made it through a warm-up on the elliptical machine yesterday. Some of you other ACL rehabbers may be thinking "so what?" But, I have always had elliptical issues much preferring jogging on treadmills or outside. It felt so good to be moving my whole body not just sitting on an exercise bike. And, obviously I've let go of some of the inhibitions of my awkwardness on the machine since this whole past six months has been physically awkward to be kind.

Speaking of six months, Thursday marks six months post accident and four months post surgery. Things are going well and I often forget about the knee. Pain and just feeling the knee ebb and flow as I walk. But, I feel that I'm turning a corner. I'll be celebrating the "anniversary" at a conference in Chicago...hopefully lots of city walking without pain will be the reward.

4 comments:

Nonblond said...

I'm about to hit my 6 month mark since my injury as well. I will be celebrating my "anniversary" on a plane to Jamaica! :)

Anonymous said...

So, how's the knee these days? We haven't heard from you in awhile, which I suppose means good news?

ACL Diary said...

I absolutely loved when I was able to ride the stationary bike the first time. It felt great to be able to do a complete round with the pedals. The elliptical machine (which was later on) gave me that same kind of sensation.

Hope your recovery went well.

Unknown said...

I actually was just able to use the elliptical yesterday too! What a great feeling it is to actually do physical exercise! haha I tore my ACL and meniscus last september, and was cleared to practice late April. Five practices in, my knee gave out on me and I tore it yet again. I have a blog now, also, about my experiences and was wondering if you might be able to put it under your 'links to other knee injury diaries'? My posts are mostly directed to teens who have torn their ACL or have had other knee injuries, and is different than a lot of other blogs! Check it out!:

http://aclplainandsimple.blogspot.com/

thanks so much!!!