Friday, June 13, 2008

3 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days: MILESTONE!

Okay, if you haven't been around me in the last six months or suffered a severe knee injury you may not understand how excited I am. BUT, I'll tell you anyway. Last night I tried walking down the stairs in my house like a normal person. Not one step at a time, but one leg in front of the other. I did it! I do have to hold onto the wall for balance, and definitely need to work on control, but it worked, and it worked again this morning.


I've added a picture of the day before the injury, Christmas day last year. It's funny to think back to my mindset then. I can't even imagine attempting to go down a snow-covered ungroomed staircase like that. Hopefully I will be up to such an attempt next winter.

I've hated stairs for many reasons during this journey. More recently, the thing about them is that they're a constant reminder of my injury. When I'm around people I don't know, I feel I need to explain myself and my injury so they know why I'm so slow. Hopefully now I'm one step closer to a less visible impairment!

1 comment:

Michele said...

Way to go! Congratulations!

I still remember the day I walked down the steps like a normal person. It is a major accomplishment.