Thursday, February 28, 2008

Recovery - The First 24 Hours



When I made it home I was tired - the pain pills I'd been given made the ride home mercifully fuzzy. We had a wheelchair to get me in the house which was good. I went straight to bed and was out for about three hours.

We had the living room made into a "recovery room" with a pullout couch and lots of pillows. I would definitely suggest trying to get a sick room set up on the first floor of your house if you can.

I couldn't feel my leg for the first night due to the spinal block so didn't have a lot of trouble with discomfort. The painkiller did its job which was great. I have an ice cooler that brings cold water into my bandaged area. I had hoped I could actually feel the cold, but I just feel a little bit of cool every once in a while. I still think it's doing its job, though.

If you're a girl and having this surgery, stock up on nightgowns before you go in. I only had one but it's already been through the wash once and it's back on - definitely the most comfy way to go.

I didn't have any of the nausea problems other people have talked about in their diaries. Just a bit woozy once. I had to make myself focus on drinking water to stay hydrated which was difficult but necessary. My appetite was back that first night and I was able to have dinner. I'm glad I had to use crutches when I first got injured. I wouldn't want to be learning in such a weakened condition.

The morning after the surgery, I was still feeling good. Jeff was back to work, but a friend stayed home with me and my mom flew in Wednesday afternoon. I'm sure I could have handled the day by myself, but it was so helpful to have people around and I would definitely recommend getting helpers if possible.

I did my first PT exercises Wednesday morning - ankle pumps, calve stretches, and quad sets. It hurt a bit, but thinking about doing it was harder than it actually felt.

So far, so good.

No comments: