Friday, February 29, 2008

Post-Op Appointment #1

Today was my first post-operative appointment as well as PT. As with over half of my pre-surgery appointments, the weather was snowy and icy and it was rough getting to the appointment. I didn't want to deal with changing so I still wore shorts and a t-shirt as this is what I had to wear to the appt and it was a short crutch to get inside.


When we arrived, my regular physical therapist was there to greet us (me, Jeff, and my mom). He got me up on an exercise table in the "examination room" of the PT area. He immediately started undressing the knee - I was nervous to see what was underneath.

First came the ace bandage. This was followed by the bladder for the ice-cold cooler water - no wonder I couldn't feel it - there was a ton of cotton gauze between it and my leg. Then came the cotton gauze, followed by (bloody) sterile gauze, and finally, steri strips on the actual wound. It looks like there are three holes and about a two inch incision for the ACL to go in.

There were three patients lined up on the exercise tables for my doctor and his PA to visit. Each was about 5 minutes long and I was last. While I waited, it was back to quad sets - my favorite - but I did get a compliment that the muscle seemed good.

When the doctor got to me, he took out pictures from the surgery - blech! I peeked a little and may look more - they're now in my possession. But all in all, it was a bit of a blur. He thought that my meniscus damage was old - to me, that means way old like over five years, because I don't remember having a hurt knee for a long time!

He gave me my goals: 1) Rest & Elevate, 2) develop the quad and be able to lift the leg 3) get 90 degree range of motion (yikes!). His PA said to call with any problems and I'd see them next week to get the staples out. Then, it was back to therapy.

I did a calf stretch (easy), range of motion exercises (hard), quad hooked up to the electronic stimulator (hard), leg lifts (hard), and practiced walking with crutches (not bad). I'm supposed to be doing these and more three times a day and going in two to three times a week. I have three appointments next week. Unfortunately, I need to get stronger to be able to drive, so that's something to focus on.

The appointment and PT lasted about an hour and a half. I got the go-ahead for a shower - yea! Things are looking up even though there's been a lot more pain with the movement.

No comments: