Tuesday, February 19, 2008

About this Blog

Two months ago, I tore the MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament), ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) and Meniscus in my right knee. I was taking a ski lesson while on vacation with my family in Michigan's Upper Peninsula over Christmas. I am an admittedly unskilled skiier, and won't be returning to the slopes. However, I want to aggressively treat my injuries so I can get back to the sport that I love - soccer - and also enjoy the active life that I've had leading up to the injury.

I have found people's blogs and diaries and the experiences of my friends who have had knee surgeries to be so valuable as I prepare for my surgery. There are so many questions that I have and everyone's experience is different. The more I've been able to learn, the more I've felt prepared.

The reason I want to record my experience relates to a desire to contribute something of my own that might be useful to others who go through this in the future. This in no way replaces medical advice or the knowledge of physicians, physical therapists, or any medical professional. Primarily, my focus is on providing my experiences that may help others know what they may encounter.

It's a week until I have surgery to repair the ACL and Meniscus. The MCL heals itself and usually does not require surgery.

No comments: